Friday, June 17, 2011

Mid-Life Love

Dear Mr. Saha,

I have finally found the time to write to you after ages today. There used to be times when each little phrase I wanted to coo-coo went into the paper and got collected  till it was delivered by hand to your shirt pocket, the pocket with small blue bird emblem on it . Those days are gone.

My hair now has the silver tinges which peeps out every now and then defying my efforts to keep them under wraps. At times after a shower when I am looking at myself at the mirror I try to remember if ever you looked at me in a  special way but all I can remember is your boyish smile , you standing at the doors of 12 C waiting for our class to get over. You remember you had those big glasses which made you look like an Electrician and with your blue bag you used to look like a conductor, also my memory gets misty with the mornings when a young boy will run to get on to my auto or wave his hand frantically from the tram :), yes brings smiles to my lips.

With time you have emerged into a creature of serious species who looks at the world with cynical eyes. You have grown a more reserved person with political views and at times influence me too :O surprising isn't it !! You have such ranges in your personality that sometimes I feel like asking are you Real? Or are you split ?? Or are you nuts ??? But you are still you .

You hate to call up friends if I remind you that you have not called them for ages now and they will be offended. But then it might happen the very next week you call them up on an emotional splurge seeing The Bengal Reds finally succumb and talk away for hours . Ohh boy!! you you still have that boyish smile :).

You had been the one who introduced me to the world of social networking to Orkut , to Facebook and gradually you withdrew back to your den. The only posts that we can see from you are the articles you want us to read to look through your eyes to see beyond our image of the "All Things Bright and Beautiful..The Lord God made them all" ( I love when you recite those lines from memory- again that boyish smile peeps in my mind) . I know they are an important read but you know at times if you just "like" a photo or just post a couplet or just scrap someone that boyish smile will peep again and make my day sunny.

Love the times when you emerge in a devastating avatar to pull someone's legs paired up with your PJ twin or you just have a couple of beers to wash away your cynicism is the time you really become the boy in you. The world is indeed a beautiful place to live in in spite of all that is going around us and there is so much to love to be loved.

I still love you.

Your truly.

P.S. Reply awaited soon :P




5 comments:

  1. How can my glasses make me look like an electrician? I have never seen an electrician wearing glasses. I swear. The only 'working' person I knew of who wore glasses, and a one as mine, was Haru-da, our nieghborhood barber. Oh yes, also Subal-da, the helper to mason, and always there in any repair work conducted in our house. I guess, both are dead for ages.

    And how does the blue bag make me look like a conductor. We all know what bags Kolkata bus conductors use. So, come on.

    I am a serious man. A little less of course than the serious men. And you must not be far from the point when you muse that I am a split.
    The fact is that as I am living the present, I am constantly trying to see how I look when seen far from the distance, as a tiny element of the ensemble. And I am abstracting things, feelings, everything. A picture I see in the NYT or a conversation I hear in the Rapid - I try to think beyond what I see or hear. may be I have picked it up from you.

    I love you in moments, as short-lived as a smile that would not come out even when humored by the funniest joke in the world. Reticence is my 'tapasya' but you are the 'menoka' - so that it all gets back to the blabberings I keep so secretly reserved for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Suva: I missed the point that you have fed yourself with all case studies of my behaviour and appease me so easily these days. Say now you called me "Menoka" so that I will not keep pestering you :P So long my love, for your blabberings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavenly...is all that i can say...keep loving...both of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's put it this way - you have lowered your levels such that I don't stumble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Suva::D It's so hazy that we do not know which is cause and which is effect, which is before and which is after so let's call it a day :)

    ReplyDelete