Friday, June 15, 2012

Comfortably Numb

Too much chaos all around, too many articles on the dishonesty of the rich , travesty of the reality and woes of the poor. But we are comfortably numb as it is not affecting us now.
Tarun Sehrawat died today.
No the news did not come in Trending Now articles or none of my friends posted about it as they must be busy in predicting Euro 2012 champions or analyzing why our honourable CM made a ludicrous statement or magnifying the ego fights between our very own Royal Bengal Tiger and the Face of Bengal Mr. King Khan.He is no Steve Jobs either!
The news came by mail from my husband who unfortunately has not been able to numb himself in the plush comforts and sophistication of the developed world.
I have known Tarun Sehrawat only recently. He is just two issues (Tehelka Magazine) old to me, yet his demise touched me like no death before. He is, am sorry, he was 22 years old a brave a fighting fit boy even younger to my brother. It amazes me how he treaded all the way to the innermost jungles of fear with Tusha Mittal by his side.
The question however is how this young boy who is no one to me, has never ever featured in my conversations to anybody, make my morning so grim and so sad that I find myself unable to do my daily tasks. Haven't I gone numb? I believed so. But wait, no, I was wrong. It still aches. It does. I am very happy about it that Tarun could make me ache for him, drop tears for him. I feel pain, I feel rage.
The hope is still there. Too many people have gone down the way but there are so so so many more. We are 1.17 billion democracy and we are the power.
No there is no hurry. We will all need our very own thresholds, may be more Tarun, more Manjunaths , more Satyendras will need to sacrifice just to wake us up and pinch us hard. Or may be something will happen to us these days and we will know we cannot be numb ever!


There's no place in this world where I'll belong when I'm gone
And I won't know the right from the wrong when I'm gone
And you won't find me singin' on this song when I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here  ~ Phil Ochs

1 comment:

  1. with a few teardrops, let us get back a little more sanity..

    ReplyDelete